Sunday, January 25, 2015

A Trio of "Memoirs?"

I've been reading again lately.  I'm veering away from reading panic-inducing online parenting articles and back into the world of books.  Real books.  For lack of a better description, I'll call these books "memoirs."

First I read Tina Fey's Bossy Pants.  The best bits were about being a new mom and enduring the advice/judgement the rest of the world casts upon you.  Perfect timing for me to read her snappy comebacks on the topic!

Then I read Amy Poehler's Yes Please.  This book was a bit confusing and all over the place to me.  Its thick, glossy pages, bright fonts and colourful pictures seemed an attempt to distract from the lack of actual content.  But I did learn a bit about Poehler's life and the lack of brainpower required to get through it was a plus in my sleep-deprived first few months of parenthood.  (Also, she doesn't drag out the gory details of her divorce.  She just states that it happened and moves on.  I respect her for that.  Plus, Parks and Recreation is just such a great show that the behind-the-scenes snippets on that were among the most interesting parts to read.)


To qualify for free shipping on Yes Please, I added Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) to my order.  THIS ONE WINS.  Mindy Kaling has, by far, the tidiest and most clever writing of any comedienne I've read so far.  Maybe its just their improv roots showing, but where the other books tended to ramble to fill space, Kaling's book was just essay after essay of awesome.  If you're going to read one of these three books, this one is it.  (After that, go watch all the episodes of The Mindy Project on Netflix.  And then watch them again.  This woman is the best kind of funny.)


No comments: