Sunday, January 25, 2015

A Year of Reading Ambitiously

I'm several months into my maternity leave and I thought I'd have a stack of finished books piled beside the nursery rocking chair by now!  While I've found some time to read, I've spent more time watching Netflix, playing games on my iPhone and continually refreshing Facebook.  My goal for 2015 is to turn some of that screentime into "pagetime" and get back to the focused, productive beauty of reading good ol'fashioned books.

With that in mind, I'm challenging myself with a 2015 Reading Challenge I found online.  (My time on Facebook is not totally wasted; it was thanks to a friend posting it on Facebook that I found out about the challenge in the first place!)

It's 50 books.  That's almost a book a week.  And we're almost a week in to the year already.  So I'd better get to reading.  Here's the list and my plan so far...

Yellow highlights mean I've read it already!  (I've been a bit late in posting this list.)

1.  A book with more than 500 pages
2.  A classic romance
3.  A book that become a movie
4.  A book published this year
5.  A book with a number in the title
6.  A book written by someone under 30
(I am Malala?  When Everything Feels Like The Movies? - is it?)
7.  A book with nonhuman characters - Flora & Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo
8.  A funny book
9.  A book by a female author
10. A mystery or thriller
11. A book with a one-word title
12. A book of short stories
13. A book set in a different country
14. A non-fiction book
(Charlotte Grey's book of letters?)
15. A popular author's first book
16. A book from an author you love that you haven't read yet
(All My Puny Sorrows)
17. A book a friend recommended
18.  A Pulitzer Prize-winning book.
19.  A book based on a true story.
20.  A book at the bottom of your to-read list.
21.  A book your mom loves
22.  A book that scares you
23.  A book more than 100 years old
24.  A book based on its cover
25.  A book you were supposed to read in school but didn't.
26.  A memoir
27.  A book you can finish in a day
28.  A book with antonyms in the title
29.  A book set somewhere you've always wanted to visit
30.  A book that came out the year you were born
31.  A book with bad reviews
32.  A trilogy
33.  A book from your childhood
34.  A book with a love triangle
35.  A book set in the future
36.  A book set in high school
37.  A book with a colour in the title
38.  A book that made you cry
(I don't think I can pre-plan this one.)
39.  A book with magic
40.  A graphic novel
41.  A book by an author you've never read before - A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines
42.  A book you own but have never read
(Rules of Civility)
43.  A book that takes place in your hometown - The Trail of The Conestoga by Mabel Dunham
44.  A book that was originally written in a different language
45.  A book set during Christmas
46.  A book written by an author with your same initials
47.  A play - Harold Pinter's The Birthday Party
(Goodnight Desdemona, Good morning, Juliet)
48.  A banned book
49.  A book based on or turned into a TV show
50.  A book you started but never finished
(The Dovekeepers)

No comments: